Saturday, December 08, 2012

ELPA and el-get

In my last post, I discussed how to tie ELPA into your customization. There's another alternative, el-get, which is a wrapper around ELPA and many other things, and lets you install and keep up to date with just about any piece of elisp out there.

The advantage here is that not everything is on ELPA. Many bits are in github, or Emacswiki, or some other more random system. Using el-get lets you easily deal with all of those things in a similar manner. The configuration options seem well-done too, though. It's a really nice system.

I played around with el-get, and I didn't have any issues. However, I wouldn't recommend it. I think more things are moving to ELPA, and anything that isn't there is best ignored for now. When Emacs 24 is the baseline emacs people use, which should be a few years from now, I'd expect every notable package to be on ELPA. So I'd keep it simple, and ignore el-get for now.

No comments: